K'naan - With God On Our Side Lyrics
K’naan – With God On Our Side Lyrics
It’s a movie and the whole world is viewing it
And the popcorn is dreams torn, but we’re always chewing it.
(They said) Design’s by God but the costumes by the devil
And the screenplay is adapted from a book that’s embezzled.
This is where I grew up.
This is where I grew proud.
This is where neighbors never say music is too loud.
This is where the streets have no name, but they have history.
This is loss is victory.
Oh my name it ain’t nothing; my age it means less.
The country I come from could be like the rest.
I was taught and brought up there, laws to abide
And the land that I live in has God on his side.
I was young; I grew. I could tie my shoe.
I was blind, but I knew that I would always see blue.
Blue seas I see through on the bottom I’ll meet you
And when we come up for a breath would you mind if I kiss you?
Childhood came up for the kiss, but it slips its pain in with mist
And the sunny skies came and I missed it,
Vanished and windswept.
Landed and we slept in the arms of convenience, blanket obedience.
Now the Somali-American
War had its day
And the Civil War too was soon laid away
And the names of our warlords
I was made to memorize.
With guns in their hands, they said,
God’s on their side.
I had an undying wish to keep from dying.
I had an untimely hitch keep me from climbing
But I climbed the hitch itself and I tried flying.
I had an uprising in my soul.
The left was fight in the right
And the right was fight in the light
And the light was blind in the night
And the night woke up in tears
When my fingers went to wipe them
They became a poem but to write them
They would have to speak tears in another language
That would take years.
So now as I’m leavin’
I’m weary as Hell
The confusion I’m feelin’
Ain’t no tongue can tell
The words fill my head
And fall to the floor
If God’s on your side then, would you ever need war?
[Lyrics to With God On Our Side performed by K’naan]
Thanks to user abdi for the contribution!
Watch The Official Video
- Imagine Dragons - I'm So Sorry Lyrics
- Lord Huron - The Night We Met Lyrics
- Mel Jade - Bliss Lyrics
- Tori Kelly - Nobody Love Lyrics
- Fat Joe – How You Luv Dat feat. Troy Ave Lyrics
- Ludacris - Throw Sum Mo Lyrics
- José González - Leaf Off / The Cave Lyrics
- Elle King - Last Damn Night Lyrics
- The Airborne Toxic Event - Chains Lyrics
- Burna Boy - Rockstar Lyrics
Top Lyrics Today
- Sting-Sister Moon Lyrics
- Pitbull - Sube Las Manos Pa' Arriba Lyrics
- Skylar Grey - Sunshine Lyrics
- Kat Graham - I Want It All Lyrics
- Tame Impala - When The Feeling's In The Core Lyrics
- Lionel Richie- I Still Believe Lyrics
- Slim Thug - 3 Kings Lyrics (feat. Bun B, T.I.)
- Chris Brown- Too Freaky Lyrics
- Gucci Mane & Young Scooter - Faster Lyrics
- Vybz Kartel - Clarks Lyrics (feat. Popcaan & Gaza Slim)